English Level Test
1 / 60
1. Where do you live?
I live ______ London.
Choose one correct answer.
2 / 60
2. How old are you?
Listen and choose one correct answer.
3 / 60
3. I have a sister. ______ name’s Jessica.
4 / 60
4. ______ five apples on the table.
5 / 60
5. What are his hobbies?
Choose two correct answers.
6 / 60
6. What is Jane doing now?
7 / 60
7. What time is it?
8 / 60
8. What are his daily routines?
9 / 60
9. What did Helen do yesterday?
She went to the shopping mall, but she ______ any clothes.
10 / 60
10. I ______ talk on the phone now, because I'm driving.
11 / 60
11. Joe's mum has two brothers. His mum's brothers are Joe's ______.
12 / 60
12. Where is the post office?
Look at the map, listen and choose one correct answer.
13 / 60
13. Living in the countryside is ______ than living in the city.
14 / 60
14. At the restaurant
What would you like for your main course?
15 / 60
15. Describing people
Adam is ______ many sports and is a ______-known athlete.
16 / 60
16. Describing past experiences
He has ______.
17 / 60
17. How do you get to work?
I ______ the bus to work, ______ I go by car.
Look at the picture and choose one correct answer.
18 / 60
18. What are his plans for the weekend?
He ______ buy a car.
19 / 60
19. They ______ when the phone rang.
20 / 60
20. What did she do in the clothes shop?
21 / 60
21. We ______ to work, but now we take the train.
22 / 60
22. What would you like to do tonight?
23 / 60
23. I love to travel, but ______ to Australia since 2010.
24 / 60
24. Sarah had an exam yesterday and she’s really nervous about the results.
Choose two correct answers which have a similar meaning to "nervous".
25 / 60
25. On the phone
Customer: "I’d like to speak to the manager please."
Receptionist: "I'm sorry I can’t ______ now because she’s in a meeting. Please give me your number and I’ll ask her to ______."
26 / 60
26. His wife ______ their weekend, before they spoke about it.
27 / 60
27. Giving opinions
Jack: "Wow! That was an awesome concert."
Karen: "Yeah it was incredible. However, their first album is my favourite."
Karen agrees that the concert was amazing, __________ their earlier music is still the best.
28 / 60
28. Lifestyle choices
If he ______ more time, he ______ sport during the week.
29 / 60
29. You were late for an important meeting. You ______ home earlier.
30 / 60
30. She really hates cleaning her apartment, but she has no problem with the cooking.
Choose one correct answer which has a similar meaning.
31 / 60
31. Job opportunities
Brother: "Why didn’t you accept that amazing job offer in New York last year?"
Sister: "Because my home is in London."
32 / 60
32. Does this theatre critic agree with the outstanding reviews of London’s latest play?
He ______ exactly the same ______ of view.
33 / 60
33. I don’t mind if you upgrade the software, ______ you back up the hard drive first.
34 / 60
34. I ______ for the last few months, because I moved to Madrid and had to study Spanish.
35 / 60
35. The suspect committed a crime and was found ______ of breaking the law.
Type the correct word below.
36 / 60
36. I’m sure that ______ her first autobiography by the end of the year.
Choose two correct answers which have a similar meaning.
37 / 60
37. The plane left ten minutes ago, but I couldn't fly because I didn't take my passport.
If I ______ my passport, I ______ on the plane right now.
38 / 60
38. Why did he miss her phone call this morning?
He explained that ______ an important presentation.
39 / 60
39. Who is the team leader least impressed by?
Team performance notes
"Overall the team has performed extremely well on this project. Sarah is extremely motivated, Linda is disorganised but still very passionate, Jason is quite pessimistic and fairly stubborn, and Max is incredibly enthusiastic. However, they all seem to get on well with each other."
40 / 60
40. Scientific reports state that the Earth’s temperature is rising because of energy pollution, and experts believe that we should be more environmentally friendly in order to limit ______ warming.
41 / 60
41. The Education Secretary negotiated with protesting teachers yesterday, and they have now insisted that she schedules a second meeting.
The politician ______ an agreement with the teachers yesterday.
Choose one correct answer that reflects the outcome of the negotiation.
42 / 60
42. ategory: English level: C1 CEFR
At the moment, we’re finding it difficult to pay the bills, and a luxurious holiday is simply unaffordable. We're really struggling to make ______ meet.
Type correct answer below.
43 / 60
43. Homelessness ______ tackled adequately by the government.
44 / 60
44. It is ______ difficult to ensure the protection of endangered species.
45 / 60
45. They had no idea about their sister’s medical problems, because she hadn’t explained what was happening. She hasn’t ______ about her poor health.
46 / 60
46. Ben dropped out of school when he was just sixteen, and became a millionaire before his 21st birthday.
Type correct answer so that the sentence has a similar meaning. The answer includes:
NOT (total of 4 words)
______ drop out of school when he was sixteen, but he also became a millionaire before his 21st birthday.
47 / 60
47. After being accepted for a scholarship at university, I was unsure whether it was a good idea to live on campus.
I was ______ about living on campus.
48 / 60
48. How can you respond to the problem in this phone call?
Listen and choose the two most suitable responses.
49 / 60
49. We need an extended break from our stressful jobs.
Type the correct answer so that the sentence has more emphasis. The answer includes:
WHAT (total of 4 words)
______ an extended break from our stressful jobs.
50 / 60
50. Approximately €5,000,000 has already been donated to charity for last week’s natural disaster.
Choose one correct answer which has a similar meaning to "approximately".
51 / 60
51. The information for the next five questions is in the listening task below.
The wife asks her husband about work!
Tip: Read the next five questions carefully before listening to the audio.
He thinks that the management have been ______.
52 / 60
52. What would he like to do next week (even though it is unlikely)?
He’d like to hand in his __________.
Type the correct answer below.
53 / 60
53. How does he feel about his retirement?
______ I hadn’t ______ my retirement.
54 / 60
54. He is describing how he feels tonight, and he would like to be more ______.
55 / 60
55. What would he like to do this evening?
He'd like to ______.
Choose one correct answer.
56 / 60
56. The information for the next five questions is in the reading text below.
Does technology benefit language learning?
Below is an extra paragraph. What is the best location in the text?
57 / 60
57. Below is an extract from the text:
"It is abundantly clear that one of the most..."
Type the correct answer to complete an expression with a similar meaning.
"Without a shadow of (a) __________ one of the most..."
58 / 60
58. Below is an extract from the text:
"Regrettably, a large number ..."
Choose one correct answer which has a similar meaning to "regrettably".
59 / 60
59. Below is an extract from the text:
"they had previously considered that they might as well try it out"
Choose one correct answer which has a similar meaning to "they might as well".
60 / 60
60. Which statement most accurately summarises the writer’s opinion?
Votre score est